What: Highlights and notes from the Inclusive Prosperity Coalition (IPC) teleconference
Date: June 7, 2017
Time: 8:00 pm EST – 9:00 pm EST
Host: Chioma Oruh, Parent Advocate for the Inclusive Prosperity Coalition
Full Recording: Audio Recording
- Chioma Oruh, Parent Advocate for the Inclusive Prosperity Coalition
- Mansoor Abdur-Rahman
- Molly Whalen, Executive Director of the DC Association for Special Education
- Tamalea Perry, Ward 8 ANC Commissioner
Opening comments from Chioma
- Teleconference will happen each Wednesday. Committee will review a move to an earlier time frame
- Discussed purpose of IPC; campaign to improve Child Find Project starting at pre-k level in DC; strategy to improve outreach and connect with city and interested parents.
- There is a meeting on Tuesday, June 9 with Councilmember David Grosso; this is a standing meeting at 2 pm
Chioma Introduced Molly Whalen
- Reviewed BILL 22-0154-CITIZENS WITH INTELLECTUAL DISABILITIES CIVIL RIGHTS RESTORATION ACT OF 2017.
- Addressed Intellectual Disability and the history of Civil Commitment
- A key component coming up for discussion is Supported Decision Making.
- A meeting to address this topic will be held on June 15, 2017 at 10 am at the Wilson Building in Washington D.C.
- Interested parties may email or call council members before June 13. If calling, dial 202-724-8170.
- To learn more about Bill 22-0154, CLICK HERE!
- T-Shirts are now for sale as a fundraiser item
- The focus of weekly teleconference calls is to keep the IPC membership up to date and engaged as things will be happening quickly
- IPC has Partnership with Georgetown University. They can assist with training for a number of issues such as Cultural competency, Intellectual disability, IEP’s, training for how to identify disability and more
- IPC working with Deputy Mayor, Charles Allen and overall education for families about how to deal with emergencies
- Call for help to build executive leadership and develop steering committee
- IPC goal is to have fully functioning organization by end of summer
- IPC plans at least two trainings in July and two trainings in August. There will also be mixer events.
- IPC activity will kick off after July 4.
- Call ended at 8:43 EST.